All Top Personal Journal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Thursday 26 January 2012

I guess I'm dumb, but that's ok...


I definitely feel I’m walking into a firing line here but what the hell. I don’t get Lana Del Rey, or more specifically I don’t get what the big deal is with her. I’ve listened to the releases including the fabled ‘Video Games’ and just thought “ok, is that it?” After the massive hype and expectation, even winning the best single of 2011 in at least 2 music magazines I will still none the wiser. Are we that starved of good music that mediocre tracks have to be bumped up a peg or ten to convince the herd that music is on the up and up? There are plenty of good bands around as well as solo artists. Female Solo artists such as Anna Calvi and P.J Harvey both made outstanding work in 2011 although nothing as good it would seem as some slow mumbling dirge and ‘youtube sensation’ offered. I will listen to the album in it's entirety before I make the final judgement but from this angle the Emperor (or Empress) definitely seems to be missing a few layers of clothes.

Now it looks like Miss Del Ray is on the edge of the precipice and can go one way or the other. A missed London gig last week can be forgiven but if any diva like behaviour continues I’m sure it won’t be long before this weeks Sex Pistols are last weeks Showaddywaddy.

Other news this week has been the hinted and confirmed line ups for both the Camden Crawl and Field Day with Franz Ferdinand making a return as well as The Vaccines countering on their 2011 successes. Only the Great Escape is to be announced and that is the one I feel will be the ticket of this side of 2012 as everything just looks, feels and sounds better in Brighton.

Anyway back to the grindstone, take 4 of these and see the Dr in the morning.

Temptation Is Hard To Find - George McGregor & The Bronzettes

You Can’t Teach An Old Dog New Tricks - Seasick Steve

Just Like Tom Thumb’s BluesBob Dylan

The Ha Ha WallThe Libertines

No comments:

Post a Comment